The inevitable process of ageing and its impact on our faces eventually comes to us all.
As we grow older, it’s normal for skin to become drier, less even in texture and less effective at creating collagen and elastin. This, coupled with repetative facial movements and ongoing environmental and sun damage, can bring about fine lines and wrinkles that have the potential to leave you feeling self-conscious. Thanks to wrinkle softening treatment, it’s possible to restore a more youthful appearance, with a focus on maintaining a natural and more refreshed look.
This tailored treatment involves administering a safe amount of botulinum toxin to specific areas of the face, to interrupt signals from the nerve to the muscle. This in turn reduces the ability for the muscle to contract, which means the overlying skin moves and wrinkles less, thus reducing age-related line formation. This results in a more youthful appearance, with faded lines whilst maintaining some movement to avoid a “frozen” appearance. The effects last 3-4 months, and results manifest around 2-weeks post-treatment. After this time, the product is naturally and safely broken down by the body.
Highly skilled injectors at Oatlands Dental Lounge
A thorough consultation and medical assessment will always form part of any facial aesthetics treatment plan at Oatlands Dental Lounge. It’s during this stage that we will endeavour to get to the heart of what it is that dissatisfies you about your skin and facial features, and propose specific treatment options for you. As dentists, our sound anatomical knowledge, coupled with a safe and precise injection technique, allows us to artistically rejuvenate and beautify the face.
Patient satisfaction is extremely important to us, which is why the patient journey does not stop when you leave the practice after your treatment. We will always invite you back for a post-treatment review, during which any small and subtle adjustments can be made, to achieve optimum results that meet your expectations. We’re here to support you with your evolving facial aesthetics needs, as you go through life.
BACK TO Facial Aesthetics
1. What happens to skin as we age?
As we grow older, just as we tend to become tired more readily, so does our skin. The ageing process causes skin to lose the components it needs to maintain elasticity and strength, namely elastin and collagen. This process begins as we reach our late 20s, accelerating year upon year and results in skin becomes looser, weaker and dryer.
Wrinkle relaxing injections can help the skin to age gracefully, and at Oatlands Dental Lounge our approach to non-surgical aesthetics treatment is to yield a natural-looking result that seeks to restore a youthful freshness and radiance to your face. Dr Poonam Paryani believes in a conservative approach to treatment, working to preserve an authentic degree of facial mobility and movement. Her drive and passion stems from the amazing emotional benefits treatment has for her patients, who report a significant change in their day-to-day wellness and self-esteem.
2. Which areas of the face can be addressed with treatment?
- Frown lines (forehead): tension and stress are two significant causes of frown lines, a frown being the reactive expression to these two emotions. Most commonly, these are lines that form between the eyebrows and can be likened to the shape of the number 11.
- Worry lines (forehead): small muscle contractions in the forehead and repeated sun exposure can give way to horizontal lines across the forehead.
- Laughter lines (around the eyes): these can form overtime as we smile and laugh repeatedly, creating small creases at either side of the eyes. These are also known as “crow’s feet”.
- Bunny lines (sides of the nose): we all subconsciously scrunch our nose, especially through actions like laughing. Wrinkle softening injections can smoothen the lines created as a result, which commonly form on either side of the nose.
- Chin and jawline: tension and stress can often exist more predominantly in the chin and jaw area, resulting in widening of the masseter muscle and a sagging jawline. Wrinkle softening injections can be carefully administered to create a contoured chin and jaw that will provide equilibrium to the whole face. Dimples and small lines across the chin can also be smoothened to become more even in texture.
- “Gummy smile”: Botulinum toxin is injected in the area between your upper lip and nose to temporarily reduce the amount the lip can elevate when smiling. This allows you to smile whilst showing less of your gums.
- Downturned corners of the mouth
- “Pebbled chin”
3. Am I suited to wrinkle correction treatment?
You may wish to consider wrinkle correction treatment if you’re looking to soften fine lines and wrinkles, which can slow down the physical symptoms ageing has on your skin in a natural-looking way. You may not be suitable if you have signs of a skin infection, are pregnant or breastfeeding or undergoing IVF.
The botulinum toxin used for wrinkle correction treatment can also be used to treat excessive sweating, clinically known as hyperhidrosis. You can read more about this here.
4. Are there any side effects or risks associated with treatment?
Before treatment takes place, the process, possible side effects and risks will be thoroughly explained to you. We believe in complete transparency, and encourage patients to ask any questions they might have.
A very fine needle is used to administer the botulinum toxin to reduce sensitivity. It is common to experience some small red bumps on the skin’s surface at the site of treatment, but don’t be alarmed by these, as they’re a perfectly normal side effect and should not cause any major discomfort. These will fade several days after treatment, and some mild bruising is also common.
5. Is treatment safe?
Medical professionals such as a dentists are widely considered to be the most qualified people to perform non-surgical facial aesthetics treatments safely. Wrinkle correction treatment with botulinum toxin is FDA- approved and has been used for cosmetic and non-cosmetic medical procedures for decades.