Whilst loss of volume across certain parts of the face is a natural part of ageing, it can leave you feeling disheartened.
Injectable dermal fillers can be used to carefully and naturally contour and enhance targeted areas, to restore a youthful appearance, helping you to feel more confident.
What causes loss of volume in the face?
One of the common concerns people have as they grow older is the gradual changes to their face’s shape and structure, which occurs as volume becomes lost. Genetics, hormones and lifestyle factors like sun exposure and smoking also play a part in the rate at which this volume becomes lost, though everyone is different.
As the rate collagen and elastin is produced slows down year upon year, facial muscles are affected, and your skin’s natural fat pads begin to displace. Whilst these internal developments occur behind the scenes, the skin eventually begins to manifest the external evidence overtime, in the form of loss of volume and more sunken areas of the face. Add sagging skin, reduced levels of hyaluronic acid and loss of moisture into the mix, and this can give a heavy and aged appearance to the skin that appears less plump and firm than in its younger years.
By administering dermal fillers to the areas where loss of volume has occurred, loose and sagging skin can be restored to appear firmer, smoother, and rejuvenated.
Which areas of the face can be addressed with treatment?
Dermal filler injections are multifaceted, working to balance your features, reshape, add volume, pronounce and contour areas across the face.
The following areas can be enhanced:
- Lips: thin lips can be down to genetics, or as a result of gradual ageing, which affects collagen levels and causes loss of volume. Dermal fillers can carefully augment and shape the lips, to give a fuller and more youthful look to this prominent facial feature.
- Cheeks: loss of fat and volume in the cheekbone vicinity can have a knock-on impact on the whole face, causing the face to appear sunken and skin to appear loose. Targeting specific parts of the cheekbone can help to project and contour, giving a ‘lifting’ and smoothening effect. Overall facial profiles and proportions are also improved.
- Tear troughs: long-term hollowing under the eyes (known as tear troughs) that linger as you age can leave you looking perpetually tired. Growing older and lifestyle factors (particularly lack of sleep and smoking) causes the muscles in this area to weaken, resulting in sagging skin and a swollen appearance. Dermal fillers can be carefully administered to the tear trough area to rejuvenate the eye area.
- Chin and jawline: using dermal fillers to create a well-defined jaw that balances your facial features and reduces jowls can work to enhance the whole face. They can even improve the look of a double chin, by contouring and shaping to achieve a cleaner and sharper look.
Dentist and Aesthetician, Dr Poonam Paryani is highly skilled at injecting dermal fillers to rejuvenate the areas outlined above. Using a very fine needle, Dr Paryani will use her diligence and precision to administer the suitable filler to the appropriate areas.
In creating a result that’s natural, an authentic level of facial movement and mobility is preserved. Treatment can be staggered over multiple treatment sessions, allowing for a gradual and subtle transformation. Approaching treatment in this way means those in your personal and professional life will not see a sudden and dramatic change to your appearance.
BACK TO Facial Aesthetics
1. What can I expect after treatment?
It’s normal for patients to experience a small amount of redness and swelling for up to an hour after treatment, and any mild tenderness usually resolves itself within in a couple of days. If you have had the lip or chin area treated, this swelling can last for up to 48 hours after treatment, and some minor stiffness is also a normal part of the post-treatment process. On occasion, some patients present with small areas of bruising for a few days afterwards, which can be concealed with makeup.
We believe in total transparency, and before any treatment takes place, any associated risks and post-treatment side effects will be explained to you during a thorough consultation appointment.
2. Am I suited to treatment with dermal fillers?
The majority of adults are suitable for dermal fillers, though we will always precede any treatment with an in-depth consultation that seeks to ascertain your suitability from a medical standpoint, and to establish how we can meet your specific concerns.
3. How long does treatment take and how enduring are the results?
Treatment time generally takes 60 minutes, depending on the number of areas being addressed. All longevity of dermal fillers will depend on the type, location and volume of dermal filler used. You can expect the results to last for between 6-18 months, sometimes even longer.