Modern dentistry offers many different cosmetic treatments to address specific issues with your teeth.
From whitening and brightening your teeth with teeth whitening techniques and masking blemishes with veneers, to addressing tooth wear with careful composite bonding and aligning teeth with braces – it’s more straightforward than ever to correct what you don’t like about your smile. But what if there’s more than one thing you’re looking to improve about your teeth and gums? This is where smile makeovers come in. Specifically tailored to address multiple cosmetic imperfections, a smile makeover offers a combination of treatments and has the potential to be life-changing.
Your smile makeover will be guided by your expectations of treatment and the health of your teeth and gums. In some instances, treatment to address issues like cavities or gum disease will need to precede a smile makeover, as good oral health is paramount before any cosmetic dental procedure takes place. Once we are satisfied that your teeth and gums are in good health, we can go ahead with planning every detail that will contribute to the beautiful smile which meets realistic expectations and suits you as an individual.
Cutting-edge Digital Smile Design at Oatlands Dental Lounge
Thanks to Digital Smile Design, we’re able to plan and perform treatment even more efficiently than before, and with unparalleled accuracy.
Digital Smile Design software allows us to take high definition 3D photographs of your mouth, which are then digitally manipulated to show you a projection of what your new smile could look like before treatment even starts.
In carefully planning and reviewing the variety of possible treatment outcomes with you, we can more closely meet your expectations of treatment based on the feedback you give us. Digital Smile Design also removes the need for multiple adjustments and fittings, giving us precise measurements from the very start of treatment.
Striving for perfection, every step of the way
At every stage of your smile makeover journey with Oatlands Dental Lounge, you can expect a meticulous approach to detail and dedication to delivering the best we can. It’s our philosophy that there should always be a definitive end goal in sight, and this is made possible with thorough planning, effective communication and a genuine desire to provide predictable, realistic, functional and cosmetic treatment outcomes.
1. What changes can I make to my smile with a Smile Makeover?
Every patient has their own version of what a smile makeover means to them. Whilst one individual might wish to improve the shade of their teeth and close a small unsightly gap with veneers or composite bonding, another may be looking for full reconstruction with treatment such as dental implants.
Here are a few examples of the most common concerns we treat as part of a smile makeover for patients:
- Tooth colour and shade: Replacing amalgam (silver) fillings with discreet composite (white) fillings can give a more natural look to your teeth overall. Meanwhile, teeth whitening and veneers can address discolouration; the tooth shade will be selected by your dentist, who will take facial features like eye, skin and hair colour into consideration during the planning stages, to ensure treatment does indeed rejuvenate your smile but does not appear inauthentic in the context of your whole face.
- Spacing and misalignment: orthodontic treatment can address a range of issues with the positioning of your teeth – gaps, spaces and overlapping teeth for example – that might be putting you off smiling around others. Composite bonding and veneers are often used once orthodontic treatment is complete, to enhance the results and provide any finishing touches.
- Missing teeth: Living with even a single missing tooth can both be hugely detrimental to your desire to smile. We can map out a solution to address tooth loss that best suits you, whether it’s with dental implants, a bridge, crowns or dentures.
- Uniform-looking smile: Chips and cracks in your teeth can be treated with cosmetic bonding to give your smile a uniform appearance. We can re-contour a gummy smile to improve the balance between the gum to tooth ratio.
- Rejuvenate the whole face: Orthodontic and facial aesthetics treatment can enhance cosmetic dental procedures, promote graceful ageing and improve the appearance and shape of facial features including the lips, cheeks, nose and chin. As teeth sit on the face. Keeping your whole face in mind gives a balanced and authentically beautiful result.
2. How is my Smile Makeover planned?
To us, a smile makeover is a fine art. With the diligent evaluation of your teeth and face, and with a view to achieving pleasing composition and harmony, we can produce fantastic results that benefit both your confidence and appearance.
The first stage of any smile makeover treatment is for your dentist to pinpoint what it is you dislike about your teeth and gums. This means asking you the right questions, so we can get the answers that will allow us to carefully plan the process leading to a new and beautiful smile. We will gather diagnostic information, perform detailed assessments and produce a thorough report analysing the health of your smile and the aesthetic improvements we can make. During a follow up appointment, we will discuss our findings with you, and outline your options, so that you can make an informed decision about how you wish to proceed.
Some of the attributes we will consider when performing a thorough assessment include:
- Tooth proportions: The proportions of each tooth will be examined and can be altered to give a more symmetrical appearance to your teeth as a whole and from every angle when you smile.
- Smile line: A visually appealing smile line is one that matches the curvature of the lower lip. This can be achieved by optimising the length and size of specific teeth.
- Tooth and gum ratio: Receding gums can be adjusted to achieve a cosmetically appealing tooth to gum ratio.
- Characterising your smile: Our artistically-centred approach to smile design means we’re always looking to characterise any dental work we perform. We identify the subtleties that are the foundation of your smile, and keep these in mind at all times when planning and performing the treatment. Whether it’s working to accentuate a masculine or feminine aesthetic, or capturing the unique light reflecting properties of each tooth, we will identify the micro aesthetics that make your smile unique and work to enhance them.
3. How can I maintain the results of a Smile Makeover?
Regular checks-ups and good at-home care are absolutely key in maximising the results of your smile makeover. Meanwhile, there are certain cosmetic procedures that will warrant some maintenance in the form of top ups. For example, following whitening, teeth will inevitably begin to discolour again overtime, often due to dietary factors; and so you may wish to do a top-up treatment.
4. What will my smile look like after treatment?
There are a number of techniques we use to give you a visual representation of what your smile could look like after a smile makeover. After your oral health evaluation, we may create a wax mock-up of your teeth, which not only gives us the opportunity to receive your thoughts and feedback before treatment starts but can also be used to test how this may function within the mouth.
We may also have recourse to the following:
- Before and after photos: showing you before and after photos is a great way to demonstrate examples of patient cases we have successfully treated and helped illustrate the various options available to you.
- Study models: these are useful for showing you the various stages your teeth will go through during your smile makeover journey.
- Dental composite mock-up: we can temporarily attach resin composite material to your teeth to demonstrate how treatment with veneers or composite bonding might look and feel before you begin treatment. This “trial smile” also allows us to make adjustments along the way until the optimum result is decided upon by you and your dentist.
BACK TO Cosmetic Dentistry